"Without mathematics, there’s nothing you can do. Everything around you is mathematics. Everything around you is numbers." Shakuntala Devi.
"We will always have STEM with us. Some things will drop out of the public eye and go away, but there will always be science, engineering, and technology. And there will always, always be mathematics." Katherine Johnson
- To enable our children to become fluent in calculation methods using the four operations.
- To develop our children's ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- To develop our children's mathematical reasoning skills.
- To ensure our children are equipped to solve problems using maths skills.
- To be able to apply maths skills within real life contexts.
- To provide our children with the opportunity to solve problems, applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and non-routine problems with increasing sophistication.
- To enable the children to have exposure to all areas of maths listed within the national curriculum.
To support the teaching of maths, we follow the White Rose scheme of learning. Children are able to study a range of mathematical concepts through practical and written activities.
Across the school, we teach Maths in a practical way giving children opportunities to explore number relationships using models, images and manipulatives.
Once children have a secure understanding of mathematical concepts, we challenge them to solve more abstract and complex problems through offering a variety of rich, mathematical tasks as opposed to moving them on to new content. Application in a range of concepts, reasoning and exploring mathematical ideas are a key part of learning and challenge for our children.
In lessons we link maths concepts to the real world beyond the classroom so that children develop an appreciation of the application of maths for future employment and real life.
We use a variety of published and online resources recommended by the NCETM to create challenging and purposeful opportunities to learn. Our teachers are very skilled at structuring lessons and tailoring material to embed learning and provide stretch and challenge.
We know that children need to revisit areas of maths on a regular basis. We therefore plan in these opportunities, this challenges children to retrieve information and use it to solve a particular question. We also revisit whole maths topics, using prior learning to ensure children don’t repeat something they already know and they then extend their learning and stretch their thinking. All this really helps to ensure maths concepts ‘stick’.
As a result of our Maths teaching at Ashton Vale you will see:
- Engaged children who are all challenged.
- Confident children who can all talk about Maths and their learning and the links between Mathematical topics.
- Lessons that use a variety of resources to support learning.
- Different representations of mathematical concepts.
- Learning that is tracked and monitored to ensure all children make excellent progress.
Our Maths Progression Document can be found Here.
Below are some useful links that will help students practise.
For those students who have a secure understanding of their time tables, we still like to continue developing their number knowledge.
Below are some links that our students use in order to be extended.
Learning at Home
- White Rose
- BBC Bitesize
- Oak National Academy
- Hamilton Trust - Learning at Home Packs
- Oxford Owl Maths
Please see some resources below to help your child with their maths learning: